Browsed by
Month: December 2018

Knitting: Chart A, B finished Lunette Shawl

Knitting: Chart A, B finished Lunette Shawl

It’s coming along! I’ve completed chart A, which is the outer border, and chart B, which starts the butterfly rows. At first I freaked out a little bit because I thought my stitch markers were causing giant gaps, but it turns out to be part of the pattern.. whew! Currently I’m on my first round of chart C and D, and the project is moving along nicely! I’m a bit of a daredevil and pushing my luck by not using a lifeline since about row 10… but I’m so meticulous with counting my stitches and double checking it every 16 stitches, so I know I haven’t made any mistakes. Everything matches up and the numbers prove it! To be safe, I think I will add in a lifeline at the end of round 1 for chart C and D because it doesn’t hurt to have it in the end. But it hurts a lot if you need it and don’t have it.

Sewing: Completed Ralph Pink Amayo Drape

Sewing: Completed Ralph Pink Amayo Drape

Finished! Pretty straightforward project… but took me forever as I purchased the pattern in 2016 and only finished it a few weeks ago. Why did it take me so long? Well… get ready for a pretty negative review! My first hiccup was the fact that the digital pdf pattern is only given in A4 format, which is longer than the US letter size papers. So I couldn’t print it correctly here in the USA. Not necessarily the fault of the pattern company, but it was annoying once I realized I bought a pattern that wasn’t formatted for US sized printers and paper. Eventually I faked it by printing it “actual size” and eyeballed how the sheets lined up together.

Other complaints:

  • No seam allowances are mentioned in the instructions. I had to go to the website to figure out they were 3/8″.
  • Piece C is shown on the cutting layout 2x longer than it actually is. In the instructions you are supposed to cut 2 pieces and piece them together, but the cutting layout shows the 2 pieces already combined and cut as one piece
  • Piece C is also marked as needing to be cut on the bias, yet the cutting layout shows it cutting on the grainline. The instructions don’t show anything about the bias either.
  • Instructions and illustrations are out of order. For example, step 6 shows the main B pieces pieced together – but the actual step to sew them together isn’t until step 8!
  • Illustrations also show the wrong things to be stitched. For example, step 12 is where the side seam is to be stitched together – but the illustration also shows you stitching the bottom hems together too!

 

Negatives aside… I did enjoy my final result. The pattern also calls for lots of hand stitching, so while it technically could have been a quick project, the hand stitching did take a while.

I used a pretty drapey and light fabric so it could be a summertime layer. Something to protect me from the sun and light breezes. Definitely not a piece to keep me warm, but an extra layer is nice!

I’m glad it is done! No more Ralph Pink patterns for me though, this one experience was more than enough for me.

Knitting: Casting on Brooklyn Tweed Lunette by Lily Go

Knitting: Casting on Brooklyn Tweed Lunette by Lily Go

446 stitches cast on, here I go…! I started making the Lunette Crescent Lace Shawl by Lily Go for Brooklyn Tweed. I counted and recounted these 446 stitches many times to be absolutely sure I had the right number – don’t want to start with a bad foundation!

My yarn is a lace weight merino and silk blend from Shibui Knits called Lunar. It’s beautiful and I am paranoid of papercuts or ketchup ruining the white! So I am extra careful to not knit around food, wash my hands before knitting, and cover up any cuts with tons of bandaids.

While I’m pretty sure I’ve followed the instructions correctly, since it is the beginning I’m always paranoid that I’ve perhaps made a huge error and won’t see it until later on. Lace work is easy to make simple errors on and not notice right away.

I’m on row 7 of 14 for chart A. Can’t wait to see it take shape!